How to Restore or Reformat Your iOS Device
>By Chris West
Maybe your iPhone isn’t performing as well as it used to. Maybe you want a fresh start before installing the latest jailbreak. Maybe you are just a true geek and it brings you pleasure to have a fresh install of ANY operating system. Regardless of your reason, you’re here because you want to know how to recover or reformat your iOS device. Simply follow these steps and you’ll be starting fresh in no time.
We are going to put the iPhone into DFU mode and then recover using iTunes.
1. BACK UP YOUR STUFF! Ok. So maybe you know this one already. We aren’t calling you stupid, but it won’t hurt to remind you. Sure, iCloud backs everything up, but there are things to remember before you start wiping everything. Just because your photos are on the cloud, it doesn’t mean that all of them are there RIGHT NOW. Plus, it never hurts to be thorough. Also remember to back up your notes if you need them (these aren’t backed up by default). Finally, remember to save any information for apps that don’t utilize the cloud.
2. Open iTunes on your computer.
3. Plug your device into your computer and then power it down.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake Button (top of the phone) and Home button (front of the phone) simultaneously for 10 seconds, then release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the Home button until iTunes gives you a message saying it has discovered a device in recovery mode. The phone’s screen will remain black.
5. To use the latest version of iOS, simply click the Restore button in iTunes. Some users may want to use a different version of iOS. If this is the case, Shift+Click the restore button and browse to the file.
Your iOS device will now begin the process of erasing and restoring the operating system. Enjoy!
If you’d like help jailbreaking your iOS 6.0-6.1 device, follow these instructions.